I don't know what it is about Sunday nights. I think they have to be my worst time of the whole week. My patience with the kids has worn extremely thin. The walls of our normally good sized home seem to close in a bit and I start to get claustrophobic. Our living room becomes an echo chamber for every little squeak and squeal to be magnified and rushed directly to my ears. Even laughter sounds too loud and intensely annoying. We try to watch quiet family movies on Sunday evening and eat popcorn, but that only takes up 90 minutes or so if we're lucky. Tonight we have watched a movie, played Sleeping Queens a bunch of times (love that game!) and raced to find the hidden CTR ring in the new Friend magazine... and it's only 5:30!!! We have two and a half more hours till bedtime!! UGH! I think that I pray more on Sunday evenings than at any other time. I pray for the kids to play nicely, for the damage to the furniture to be minimal and for something to get my mind off the slowly ticking secondhand!!
I guess I could write more in my blog and that may do the trick! I was reading in the new issue of the Ensign today - which I must say is GORGEOUS! I love the vellum cover over the beautiful picture of the Savior! I read the article written by President Hinckley and one thought really stood out to me:
"We know not all that lies ahead of us. We live in a world of uncertainty. For some, there will be great accomplishment. For others, disappointment. For some, much of rejoicing and gladness, good health, and gracious living. For others, perhaps sickness and a measure of sorrow. We do not know. But one thing we do know. Like the Polar Star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith.
In sunshine and in shadow we look to Him, and He is there to assure and smile upon us.
He is the central focus of our worship. He is the Son of the living God, the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten in the flesh. He is “risen from the dead, … the firstfruits of them that slept” (1 Corinthians 15:20). He is the Lord who shall come again “to reign on the earth over his people” (D&C 76:63; see also Micah 4:7; Revelation 11:15).
None so great has ever walked the earth. None other has made a comparable sacrifice or granted a comparable blessing. He is the Savior and the Redeemer of the world."
Isn't that a beautiful quote!!?? President Hinckley had such a way with words. He was a wonderful prophet. I wished today that my shoes hadn't been filled with cement and I could have made it to the pulpit to bear my testimony. I wanted to share that I know that Jesus is our Savior too! I hate that I let fear keep me in my seat or keep my mouth shut so many times. It is something I need to work on. I did enjoy all our classes today and I was very glad that I had made the efforts to get up and get the kids up and ready. I will be so glad when Chris gets back. So glad in so many ways!
My dear little sister, Emily, is blessing her first little baby boy today and all my family has gone to her home to celebrate. They called me last night and I heard all the fun going on in the background! I miss being there with all of them on those special days! Emily's little boy, Corbin Lee, is adorable! I can't get enough pictures of him! It's always so fun to get another neice or nephew! I now have 9 with 2 more on the way!! It's so exciting! I just wish I could be there to snuggle little Corbi and smell that sweet baby smell! MMMMMM.
I joined Shelfari and Goodreads at the urging of friends... and I have been trying to get through the books on my nightstand: Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss (Yes, I'm still reading it Nicole!!! I'll get it back to you soon!), A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle (very deep), Enna Burning by Shannon Hale (the 2nd book in her series, following The Goose Girl), Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (thanks Terina!) and The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks (I was given this for my birthday! Yay!) I am one of those odd people who has to be reading several things at once. I don't know why I need to have so many things jangling around in my head... but I do. It's funny but I tend to start a bunch of books and then one starts getting really good and I'll hurry up and finish it and then I'll start another to keep a bunch in the mix... I just love books. I want to read everything.... All at once!! I saw a show once that had a guy who could just flip through a book and it was read - I wouldn't mind that super-ability, if I was a super hero picking abilities... Ok. I can tell I'm beginning to ramble and look - it's now 6:03. Wow. Time flies when I'm having fun!
Missing NoCal
12 years ago





2 comments:
Sundays are hard when Daddy is gone. All days are, but for some reason, Sundays especially.
Take your time with Eats, Shoots & Leaves. It's not one you have to zoom through all at once anyway. I just finished "Pillars of the Earth" and loved it. I have never really thought about what it took to build all those gorgeous cathedrals we would visit in Europe, just that they were there!
Hang on - not too many Sundays left. You can do it!
I love how graciously you share your thoughts. You have a great way with words!!! Maybe it's been all that journaling you've been doing. Which I need to follow your example!! It's hard to be away from family. I hate that my sister lives clear across the country. I long to hang out with her.
Post a Comment