We are not liking it here. It wasn't my favorite the first time we were here... and it hasn't gotten any better. The thing that got us here was the promise of no deployment and that is about all that we're still happy about. The housing here on Post is AWFUL and we are just horrified at how "well" we're taken care of by the company who runs it. Picerne was a dream compared to them! The school here on post is not run by DOD and it is TERRIBLE. It is run by one of the counties here and their school is the "Star" school for this County... It makes me sad for all the kids in any of the other schools if this school is the BEST?!? We are currently searching for somewhere to live off post up in the other County where hopefully the schools are better. We like our neighbors, mostly. The kids love the huge tree in the backyard and that is the only saving grace here. Our apartment is a TINY 3 bedroom which they put us in KNOWING we qualified for a 4 bedroom, but it was what was "available" and we were leery of the ancient housing we might have been placed in so we took it. This one we're in was built in the 70's and was absolutely FILTHY on move-in day. It's just been a horrible experience for me. Our ward really hasn't grown on me yet. There are a few promising women who I'd like to get to know, but everyone pretty much doesn't try to get to know any of us Military families... even though we'll be here for 3 years!! They have me in scouts and teaching the 6 year olds. Not my favorite. They didn't even call us in to get to know us... just called in to give us callings. They got Chris' calling right though! He is in the Nursery with Jilli and loves it. I really wouldn't mind being in Primary. My class is great and I have fun coming up with stuff to keep them entertained for an hour... but the first Sunday I was called, I went in there and sat down, thinking that someone in the Presidency would come up and get me all the gear and tell me where to go, etc. Nope. I had to go over and ask. Then she was like, "Oh, uh, hmmmmm. I think we're going to put you in the 6 year olds class. We have a lot of 6 year olds and I think we'll split that class AGAIN to get you some kids to teach..." Yeah. It made me feel like I was an afterthought and that they were just sticking me in a calling to check me off their list!!! Not a good experience for me. I am really having trouble with scouts too. I work with a great lady who is so patient with the crazy 8 year olds, but she's not been able to be there for a few weeks and I CANNOT handle the crazies. My one saving grace is that Jeremiah is one of my scouts and just looking at his sweet face with his eyes rolling... keeps me sane, sort of! Chris came on Weds and helped me out and EVEN HE had a hard time with them. He said that there should be 3 MEN put into that calling... I agree. Sorry to rant... I'm just getting so depressed about being here. I really do try to talk to people and go to all the RS Groups and activities... but it's been 2+ months and I'm still struggling. This is only our 2nd home in the Military... but I'm just really hating it. I want to go back to Bragg!! :) We were so spoiled there! I am going to start school online in January so that will keep me busy. I won't give up...as much as I want to, but it really feels like I'm banging my head against the wall. Sorry again to rant!! I think I've just been holding it in too much! Any advice?? I know I'm being a wimp. A situation is what you make of it... but I don't know how I can face all the bad things. We had a huge flood/river of water in our backyard on Wednesday that was caused by a water main break. It was the last straw for me I think... grrrrr. I guess I should be looking at the fact that the water didn't come in my house and we were only without water for a few hours.... I'm such a pessimist! How do I stop being like that?!?!?!?
4 comments:
Oh, Rach! I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time! I always try to think positive about bad things going on, but sometimes it feels good to just let it out! Anyway, my advice about the ward would be to put yourself out there- invite people over, start a group- just do something to try to show people you want to have friends there. Then if no one responds well, they have serious issues! Best of luck to you!
NOT FUN! I wish I could be there to help you. I hated Vegas for the first year we were here. It took making some great friends for me to warm up to the city. You should do a Stamp Camp and that would maybe help with getting to know people. I LOVED the stamp camps my friend in Oregon did! Anyway just an idea! Good luck!
I'm so sorry - I feel bad for you. I wish you were back at Bragg, too!
I'm sure you'll find something off post to rent - then it will be better for you.
How disappointing in the primary. I guess it's not good that you know how it should be run! Nothing can compare to the primary when you, me, Christy and Stacey were in it!
Hang in there -
Just know, you are missed. Alot...
Post a Comment